Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lesson One: 1 Sept 2010: For the first time in a long time...

Maths seems FUN and I had FUN!


It was the first lesson on Elementary Mathematics. Frankly speaking, I was somehow feeling very skeptical over this whole module, "Is it going to be like the 'E-Math' in Secondary School?" (shivers) Then I went for class, and learned that... 

"Mathematics is an excellent vehicle for the development and improvement of
a person’s intellectual competence in logical reasoning,
spatial visualisation, analysis and abstract thought."

The goal is not to TEACH children math, but to get them to LEARN through math!!


Yep, and try these activities and I guarantee your brain will feel much better hahaha..



Activity 1: Number Words Card Game
Arrange 10 cards (from 1 to 10) in an order so it will fit into a pattern, where you count 3 cards (to the spelling of O.N.E) and the 4th card is number 1... continue counting 3 more cards (to the spelling of T.W.O) and the 8th card is number 2... continue counting 5 more cards (to the spelling of T.H.R.E.E) and the next card is number 3... all the way till number 10! Rule: Once a number is 'called out', that card cannot be used in counting anymore.


- A game using lots of brain juice and memory, something we don't have and thus, made everything more challenging!
Activity 2: The Dice Game (The one I've learned the most from!)
Put two dice together and guess the sum of the two 'hidden' numbers!

- I already knew the trick of the game when the video was played, but still, I find it so amazing that this little trick can actually be used as a teaching method! It has never come
across my mind that such as a game can be used to promote so many skills (addition, predicting, meta-cognition, etc, even perseverance!) and how ALL the children are so involved in the discussion. Imagine what is going through their brain at that time! Hmmm... I can already visualize the look on my children's faces when they see this 'magic' trick!
.
.
Activity 3: The Paper Clip Game (can be replaced with marbles and other objects)
Using a number of paperclips, place them on the table and two players take turns to collect either 1 or 2 paperclips. The last person to collect the last or last 2 of the paperclip wins!

- Somehow, this game seems quite familiar, like I've played it somewhere before. The strategy to win was also pretty easy to come up with, but explaining it out is a lot tougher (and I have no idea why?!).



Anyway, I've come to realize how much easier it is to use models and manipulatives to illustrate mathematical concepts, and how effective it is as compared to the traditional boring methods (been there, done that! =P).. Going to try it with my children! hiak hiak hiak..