Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reflections: Chapter 1 & 2

Thinking back on my experiences with Mathematics.... my first response would be http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/images/smilies/icon-mad3.gif "Har, Maths??"


Thinking further into the past on my experiences with Mathematics... HEY! I think I used to like Math when I was in Primary School, but what happened during Secondary School??

 


From Primary 1 to 6, maybe concepts were more interesting and there were more methods of exploration then, I remember I would spend more time on Math questions than any other things. There was even this Math quiz corner, where a quiz would be given every fortnightly, and the winner gets to win something! My friends and I would be spending our time counting the number of circles in a picture, measuring the school fence with ice-cream sticks, problem solving, etc. *Those were the days*
= Standard-Based Curricula

 

However, when I was promoted to Secondary School, it was all textbooks, demonstration, explanation, practice, practice, and more practice (listen, copy, memorize, drill)... I don't remember exploring the concepts with concrete objects, only endless memorizing of formulas.. Like what one of the Math teacher said," The more you do, the more you feel like doing more!" (oh yeah?) and he would continue with his formula and answers on the board while the rest of us (some of us, not all) stared on with question marks above our head.
= Traditional Curricula




But then, the good thing about having bad Math experience, I know I don't like it, and the children won't like it either! Some of the teachers 'teach the way they were taught', but imagine if it's some boring and non-stimulating concepts or questions, would you want to be in your own class?


This is where the six principles to high-quality mathematics education comes in:
  • Curriculum -- to see math an an integrated whole
  • Assessment -- to support learning of math & furnish information to teachers and students
  • Teaching -- what students learn depends on the experiences that teachers provide
  • Technology -- influences the math that is taught and enhances learning
  • Learning -- learning math will understanding is essential
  • Equity -- needed for excellence in math education
Think "C.A.T.T.L.E"  

 
Ding Ding Ding! Time to rack some brains!
--> If an old machine could shred a truckload of paper in 4 hours and the new machine could shred the same truckload in only 2 hours, how long will it take to shred a truckload of paper if both shredders are run at the same time?


Got an answer? Well, I don't... I'm curious for the answer too, and maybe my brain is rusty, but look at this!

"In the real world of problem solving outside the classroom, 
there are no teachers with answers and no answer books. 
Doing mathematics includes justification as a means of 
determining if an answer is correct."


The thing is, how do I get this message across to the parents?

I have to admit that it was an eye-opener to know so much more about Mathematics and its benefits (not only to get A1), and the things that can be done or taught with it!


 (read more in "Elementary & Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentally" 
by John A. Van De Walle, Karen S. Karp, and Jennifer M. Bay-Williams)